Brrrrrr…this week in Omaha the temperature dropped from 90 some degrees to about 55. So during times like these I start to crave a nice hot soup! Luckily I have two great recipes that always warm up my toes. One, is a creamy tomato bisque and the other is a hearty lentil soup. I know… some people hate lentils, so I thought I would give you two options. However, just be aware that lentils are actually really great for you. They’re a fantastic source of protein (especially if you’re vegan) and fiber, but if you are watching your carbs, just be careful, as they do pack a load. These two soups have completely different flavors, but I love both! Usually, with the tomato soup my fiancee and I will make grilled cheese to pair with the soup. When I make the lentil soup I add some extra chilles to add spice and get the sinuses cleared up. You can also heat up a couple tortillas and just roll them up and eat them with the soup.
I will have to credit this recipe to my fiancé who has been making this dish for a very long time. Since the first time I tried it, I fell in love! It just hits the heart. The lentil soup goes back to my childhood. When it started to get really cold my mom would always make this amazing lentil soup with some poached eggs and delicious vegetables. I think if you can’t decide which one to make first, dont worry you can make the other one next week. I promise that you won’t regret it.
Tomato Soup Ingredients
- 1 lb of tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 handful of basil
- 1/2 of an onion
- 1 1/2 of heavy creme
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- Roast tomatoes (halved), garlic, and onion in the over at 400 degrees for 45 minutes
- Once those items are cooked, switch them to a large sauce pan and use an emulsion blender until it’s broken down to a sauce, or you can transfer to a blender and blend the three ingredients.
- Add salt, basil, heavy creme, pepper, and parmesan cheese to your sauce pan or blender and blend again.
- Serve your soup
Lentil Soup Ingredients
- 1 lb of lentils (color doesn’t matter)
- 6-8 cups of water (depending on how thick you want it)
- 2 tbsp of salt
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 of an onion
- 4 diced roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of diced onion
- 2 cups of kale
- 1/2 lb of mushrooms
- 6 eggs
- 1-3 chopped serranos (add more if you want it really spicy)
- 1 tbsp of cilantro for garnish
- Bring the 6-8 cups of water to a boil in large sauce pan
- Add salt, half onion, garlic, lentils to the sauce pan
- Once the lentils come to a boil turn down the hit to a low medium and allow to cook for 45 mins
- On the side add olive oil to a sauté pan and add your diced tomatoes, other half of diced onion, kale, and mushrooms.
- Cook them throughly
- In the last 15 mins of the lentil cook time, add the contents that you sautéd
- In the last 5 minutes of the lentil cook time crack your 6 eggs in the large sauce pan with the lentils (space them apart).
- Once you feel the lentils are soft and the eggs looked cooked through, serve in a dish and add a little of the chopped Serrano and cilantro
Hope you enjoy these soups as much as we did, and stay tune for my broccoli bake and fish tacos! If you want me to try any dishes you have please send them my way and I will try to share them and recreate them with my own pizzazz.